Saturday, November 20, 2010

Entry #1

First of all, my name is Brittany Atwood and I am a Horizons Leadership student. I created this blog for an Horizons Service Learning Activity where I am required to write several entries on an activity I have created  or one that I am currently involved in in my community. I am required to write about how this activity has improved or is improving my leadership abilities and how it's helping my community. I chose to write about an activity that I am already a part of.

Tutoring is an activity I am currently involved in. I spend 3 to 4 afternoons a week after school at my previous school tutoring children who need extra help with their school work/homework or extra help studying. Mostly I tutor elementary students and I have my regulars, but occasionally I have a couple of junior high students who like to stay every now and then. Some kids even like to stay just for the quiet time to study, and if they have any trouble understanding something I'm there to help them out with it. Tutoring not only helps the students I tutor; it also helps me. It helps improve my leadership abilities, and gives me the opportunity to get to know the kids in my community. I love helping people and I also love kids. I tutor in pretty much what ever subject they need help with, whether it be math, english, science or social studies, et cetera. Over these past couple months I found that most students need extra help with math which happens to be my favorite subject. I love doing math and since the math program has recently changed over the past couple of years I also learn new things just about every day.

That’s it for entry #1. J

Brittany

1 comment:

  1. Great job with the first entry, Brittany!
    Your tutoring work sounds like it is helping so many students at your school. I remember tutoring when I was in high school and being able to help others in their studies was a very rewarding experience. I can tell that you enjoy it as well. You're deifnitely making a huge positive impact on your students' lives!
    You should try and get some pictures up for your next entry! I'm sure some of the students would love to have their picture taken and it would be awesome to see you in action.

    ReplyDelete